"It has been nice to work out in the Tameside communities supporting those most in need. I have really enjoyed working with all of our volunteers in their different roles, supporting them to carry out their vital work. It has been an absolute pleasure to have the opportunity to work with such a fantastic team of people." Chris Moorhouse-Community Development Worker
Volunteer Centre Tameside- What we have been up to!
At the start of the pandemic we called out to the people of Tameside for their help, we needed volunteers to provide support for the most vulnerable people within our communities. Our Neighbourhood Volunteers undertook a range of duties such as welfare checks, delivering basic essentials such as food, medicine and linking people with the social prescribing team, befriending services and other support.
The local foodbanks found that more people were visiting their centres each week. Demand was high and the foodbanks were struggling to ensure that every person that needed one, got a food parcel.
As a reaction to this increased need the Doorstep Donation Scheme was created. The scheme enabled people to support the Covid-19 response and help others in their neighbourhood without having to leave their homes. It was a way for everyone that wanted to help, to do so. Our Donation Volunteers delivered flyers to houses in their areas, returning a few days later to collect donated collect bags of food. The scheme has been a huge success and many people have benefitted from this.
We have also built stronger relationships with other organisations. Highlights include:
- Tameside Oldham and Glossop Mind, Being There and Infinity Initiatives have been supported to recruit new volunteers for their telephone befriending services.
- The Syria Relief volunteers have been distributing food, medicine parcels and also hot meals to anyone in need in Tameside.
- Our PPE delivery drivers have been distributing essential equipment to GP surgeries across the borough.
- Creative Care Kits have been donated by Tameside Council and our volunteers have distributed them to isolated people.
- We have placed volunteers with Dukinfield Pantry to assist with food donation deliveries and giving out food parcels to people that visit the centre.
- Community Cutz generously put together afternoon tea packages and our volunteers helped to take them to people.
- We have linked volunteer’s with Barnardo’s Tameside and their Independent Visitor role. These volunteers will be spending time with a ‘looked after child’ and taking them for a fun day out once per month.
Facebook Group: Action Together – Tameside Neighbourhood Volunteers
The Facebook group is for our Neighbourhood Volunteers and anyone interested in becoming a Tameside Volunteer. The page is regularly updated with news, updates, new volunteer opportunities and photos. It is also a space for our volunteers to talk to one another. To share ideas, tips and advice and to also ask for help from other volunteers if needed.
Our weekly Volunteer ebulletin goes out each week to our registered volunteers. This includes news, a running total of food donations they have collected to date and a current list of volunteering opportunities. Find out more here.